Tagbox
Friday, December 15, 2006
:::Visit to the pet shop:::

Had a free morning and afternoon today and thus decided to make a trip down to the pet shop where Kenya, the Westie pup, that bullies Chinky is now staying in. Kenya, is a Westie that my uncle's family juz bought a few months back..Some of you probably would have seen her if you went to my birthday party last month.

So i dropped by at the pet shop, StormVille along Serangoon Gardens tis afternoon to check how Kenya's doing as well as do some 'grocery' shopping for Chinky. It was no typical pet shop as the supply of food and treats were limited BUT the number of dogs there was not unusually large. However, what made the difference was that these dogs were NOT locked up in cages. Instead they were allowed to roam ard the shop freely. So when i entered the shop, I was greeted by about 4-5 dogs of different breeds, with a few more further inside the shop which was partitioned by a glass door.

Told the couple i was looking for Kenya and when they brought her out, she started her usual rounds of playing rough with the other bigger dogs. Somehow she juz has a penchant for big dogs!Now you noe why she bullies Chinky.
But anywae, the focus wasn't on Kenya after I went to the shop, since she's forever playing with the Maltese and trying to bite her ear, while the Maltese tries to 'hump' Kenya despite both of them being females!!!

Instead, what caught my attention was tis 6-yr old Cocker Spaniel, Ruby. Ruby's got a beautiful brown coat and dopey eyes. Ruby wasn't the sort of dog who really played with other dogs, which caught my attention becoz my dear lil girl is also like that..Forever staying ard humans and doesn't socialise with other dogs. So Ruby went up the couch and sat there, while the lady boss patted her. And i soon heard bout Ruby's history as Ruby started to warm up towards me as i gave her the usual belly rubs and massages that i would to Chinky at home.

Apparently, Ruby is of similar age to Chinky probably explaining their similar energy level. I've always had the impression that all the dogs in the shop were owned by some ppl in one way or another, juz that the owners had placed them there temporarily while they went overseas or smth. But Ruby was different.

Ruby is up for adoption. But in her short span of 6 yrs, she has had a change of owners for 4 times!And the couple is trying to look for a 5th owner for Ruby. According to the couple, Ruby is very temperamental. She barks (like Chinky), but i think wat made her previous owners gave her up was that she is a very possessive dog. Also, when the weather changes, her mood also changes. Of coz, i din managed to see that sight of Ruby in my short time span at the shop.

Also, Ruby walks with a slight limp. Seems like she was injured when she was with her 1st owner. Two or even three German Shepherds had apparently ran into Ruby's house and fought with her, injuring her leg permanently. The thot of it made tears welled up in my eyes as I took the bus back to the interchange. I can never imagine the pain and the silence of all the emotional torture that she has been thru. Of coz, there are dogs in a far-worse state than her that i've read on the Action of Singapore Dogs (ASD) webbie. And each story makes the heart ache even more and the tears shed even more.

On my part, I understand how tiring and frustrating it can be when your dog has such 'unfriendly and unruly' behaviour. On the other hand, I always wonder to what extend would every pet owner go to for the sake of their own pets. What i'm trying to say is, how far would you go when ur pet is concerned.
E.g. in Ruby's case, would you give her up becoz of her character; or would you try your best to accomodate to her?Afterall, she's really very sweet when she's not in one of her moods.
Or, how patient can you be when it comes to dealing with your pet's weird temperaments?
Or, if you're down to your very last cent, would you think of spending it on your pet or yourself?
Or, can u even bear to leave your pet while you go overseas for a short trip?(I sure can't, especially when my whole family goes overseas and there's no one I can entrust her to; even if there's an alternative of pet lodging, I wouldn't want to either. Reason being I dun want Chinky to ever harbour the thot that I would ever abandon her)

When i had to leave the shop, I was reluctant..very reluctant. I tok to Ruby as i would to Chinky. I stroke, pat and belly rub her as i would to Chinky. Her dopey eyes as she looked at me seems to tell me of her many encounters she's had over the many years. Her longing in her eyes to juz trust that 1 more human in her life, her longing for the love that her owner would shower her upon, her longing that juz someone out there who would juz give her another chance to believe and trust humans again. 'Bye' and 'Goodbye' are the 2 words she dread to hear most. For she has heard them many times. These words always meant that 'I'll never see you again'.

For all the love and committment she's placed on her owners, 'abandoned' is what she got in return.

And Ruby's not the only one. There are many of such dogs out there who's facing the same situation. Abandoned, abused, neglected..

As I'm typing tis, tears are welling up and dropping down. I'm sad, angry, disappointed..But i can never be as disappointed as these dogs, for they have been thru much much more.

And again, the issue of responsible pet ownership. But responsible pet ownership always runs upon the subjects of providing a healthy living condition, understanding the heavy commitments and responsibilities from the day you decide to become a pet owner and all the cliche stuff..
But something's that's being neglected is that, responsible pet ownership also extends towards accepting your pet for who they are. Juz like as you would to your own child. They may be normal, sub-normal, handicapped, healthy, unhealthy..parents still love their kids as much. It's the same for pets. They are no less different from being a child, apart from the fact that they are physically different and can't tok to us in human language. But they still need the attention, love and time nonetheless. It's the same heavy responsibility.
In fact, sometimes pets are much easier to handle than kids!

Although i've been thinking alot these days, tis trip yet again, makes me even want to either:
1) become an animal communicator (rather, a dog whisperer who can communicate with dogs)
2) open my own pet shop, which does not encourage the sale of dogs..rather promote adoption.
3) dedicate my life to changing the lives of these abandoned,abused dogs

I dunno how i'll go bout doing all these. But i noe, i will never regret if i ever took such a path, and i hope i do managed to walk down tis path, whether with a partner or not.
Afterall, dogs are more loyal than humans. And the love they shower upon us is beyond imagination.
And for all these, it was thru Chinky that opened up another aspect of me.

On a sidenote, there was another beautiful dog that always lay at the entrance of the shop. He has been there for bout 3 months becoz the owner claims that he's afraid the dog may pose some threat to their newborn. And they only visits him like once in a few weeks!!
I'm sad becoz the dog seems to be pinning for his master to bring him home soon, but yet..i can't say much becoz i'm not a parent myself. Although i'm very certain that i will never be in such a position whereby i'll put the dog aside and 'neglect' it juz becoz i have my own child and i need to re-direct my love and attention to the kid.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi

If only you knew at 11:15 PM

Profile

Name :Heavens Arms
Birthday:November
School:School of Love & thoughts
Horoscope:Scorpio

Will I forsake my pride for love? Yes, I would so long as you're worthy of it. When I do, you would know that your worth weighs as much or even more than my pride. So handle my lost pride with tender loving care and show me that you are worthy of it. I can lose my pride once, twice or more. But with each subsequent loss, a little more is required to take that pride out of me again. It does not matter if a different person is involved, once I've lost my pride, a higher threshold is needed the next time round.

Links

Budak Pantai
Quintsical Productions
Sistic
Shop of Stuffs
Pretty Things
Sweet Dweamz
Action for Singapore Dogs
S.P.C.A

Credits
Designer : jetflame

Archives

October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
January 2008
March 2008
May 2008